In recognition of September as National Preparedness Month, Virginia REALTORS® is encouraging people to ready themselves by making plans for how to stay safe and communicate during an emergency. Preparedness Month reminds us all to collect supplies and make and share a plan for the protection of our families, homes, businesses, and communities. To assist with disaster preparedness, we’ve created a handy checklist for you.
- Make a plan for you and your pets– Share this plan with your family, friends, and relatives. Knowing how you’ll contact one another and reconnect if separated is crucial. We also recommend sharing your plan with a contact in a different state.
- Stock up on food & water– During this time of year, keep enough non-perishable food and water to last you three days. It could take crews more than a couple of days to reach you.
- Consider transportation & property– Consider transportation routes and property safeguards, as well as the needs of elderly family members and pets. Also, make sure your vehicles are fully fueled.
- Check your coverage– It’s important to know which types of disasters could affect your area. Keep a local map with you as well.
- Prepare a Disaster Supply Kit– Your kit should include: prescriptions, pet supplies, batteries, a flashlight, batteries, a whistle to signal for help, first-aid supplies, wet wipes, a manual can opener, sleeping bags, a battery-powered radio, and cash to cover emergency purchases.
We hope these tips help you, and remember to stay safe!